Thursday, June 24, 2010

The same but different.

Hey, guess what? There's a G-20 summit taking place in Toronto at the weekend. We should talk about it, after all, the global fiscal crisis has affected most of us. Except me. However, I didn't really have much to begin with. Woe is me. What was my point again? Ah yes, leather shorts (surprise!). Look above and you'll see the beguiling Alexa Chung (she actually irritates me supremely and because I can offer no rational explanation why, one must therefore assume extreme jealousy, envy and begrudgery on my part). I'm flawed, i know, but let us continue. What do you think of La Chung's YSL leather shorts? I'm pretty sure my German cousins (and they do exist) would mistake them for liederhosen but do not listen to them for they know not what they wear, and really, who on earth would spend almost $2000 on a pair of liederhosen anyway? Silly German cousins! I actually like these shorts on Alexa but I suspect they're more than a little unforgiving if your legs aren't skinnier than a baby giraffe's.

Now, for the case against leather shorts. Here is the tennis player (and speaking of tennis, did you see John Isner defeat Nicolas Mahut in the longest tennis match in history? 70-68 in the final set. Crazy. Mahut is cute as a button, isn't he? Ok, major digression, sorry!) Maria Sharapova working her own version of the leather look. There's no denying that, as a pro-athlete, Maria Sharapova has a killer body and I'm not, in a million years, saying that this ensemble makes her look heavy. BUT, I really really hate it. The thing with Alexa Chung is that although she gets on my last nerve, she never looks over-styled. She has a knack of making everything look effortless (I put it down to her bad posture, still jealous, yes). Maria Sharapova, on the contrary, does not. Her perfect hair and make-up take the edge of the leather shorts, so much so that she might as well be wearing a knee-length tweed shooting skirt! I don't like the boots either. God, I am a fusster! Not sure what the actual point of this blog post is, if I'm honest. Do I like leather shorts? I think I do. Will I ever understand the Russian preoccupation with avoiding understatement in the sartorial sense? Probably not. Would the world be boring, and downright shoddy, if everyone dressed like me? Most certainly. We are united by our differences so go forward and be different (no clue). Peace! x

No comments:

Post a Comment